Pray that James Lee Burke’s 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn’t seem to know that mysteries aren’t supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In 1990s America, where the old evils — cattle rustlers, bank robbers, Russians, nuclear bombs — are gone or passe, he pinpoints a terror closer to home and much more real: ethnic hatreds drunkenly ferreting in every direction. When detective Dave Robicheaux is hired to retrieve a sunken WWII Nazi submarine, he and his family are stalked by a villain so evil and slippery that he may be a satanic presence beyond the reach of law or civilization. Dixie City Jam is the apocalyptic vision of a writer scared to death of where we’re headed — and a thriller with more to say than most of us might want to hear. A+
Dixie City JamPray that James Lee Burke's 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn't seem to know that mysteries aren't supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In...Dixie City JamFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee BurkePray that James Lee Burke's 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn't seem to know that mysteries aren't supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In...1994-08-05
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- Emily Ratajkowski is over 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the bane of my existence'
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!