Pray that James Lee Burke’s 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn’t seem to know that mysteries aren’t supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In 1990s America, where the old evils — cattle rustlers, bank robbers, Russians, nuclear bombs — are gone or passe, he pinpoints a terror closer to home and much more real: ethnic hatreds drunkenly ferreting in every direction. When detective Dave Robicheaux is hired to retrieve a sunken WWII Nazi submarine, he and his family are stalked by a villain so evil and slippery that he may be a satanic presence beyond the reach of law or civilization. Dixie City Jam is the apocalyptic vision of a writer scared to death of where we’re headed — and a thriller with more to say than most of us might want to hear. A+
Dixie City JamPray that James Lee Burke's 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn't seem to know that mysteries aren't supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In...Dixie City JamFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee BurkePray that James Lee Burke's 13th book is only brilliant fiction. He doesn't seem to know that mysteries aren't supposed to be worrisome to the soul. In...1994-08-05
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!