Some mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in Fear of Fifty: a Midlife Memoir, her first (admitted) autobiography, that is what Erica Jong spends 325 pages telling us. That’s not all she tells us, of course, but it’s pretty much the Big Point. Another, Almost-As-Big Point is, ”Love mattered. Instant orgasm did not.” That should tip you off that the usual racy, Jongian, I-was-full-of-juices-like-a-raw-red-steak scenes will, for once, not take up too much space. Aside from one chapter, it seems the Zipless One has been zipped up — and by her own hand. Jong has taken her own experience and decided it is exemplary of her generation’s experience, and thus can pretend that by discussing herself she is really discussing the female condition. And sometimes she’s right. But a lot of times she’s not, which is the true failure here. It’s not so bad that Jong would have the pretensions, or guts, to write a memoir when she was 50. She’s a smart, interesting woman, after all. It’s that she doesn’t, ultimately, have the guts to limit herself to herself. Jong hides behind her gender, and she ends up pontificating when she should have been simply describing. It is one of the first rules of creative writing: Show, don’t tell. B-
Fear of Fifty: A Midlife MemoirSome mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in Fear of Fifty: A Midlife MemoirMemoir, BiographyErica JongSome mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in 1994-08-05
Genre: Memoir, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan on Negan terrorizing Carl
- 'The Walking Dead': Chandler Riggs on Carl's biggest episode ever
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- Tom Cruise joins the world of gods and monsters in 'The Mummy' trailer
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big