Some mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in Fear of Fifty: a Midlife Memoir, her first (admitted) autobiography, that is what Erica Jong spends 325 pages telling us. That’s not all she tells us, of course, but it’s pretty much the Big Point. Another, Almost-As-Big Point is, ”Love mattered. Instant orgasm did not.” That should tip you off that the usual racy, Jongian, I-was-full-of-juices-like-a-raw-red-steak scenes will, for once, not take up too much space. Aside from one chapter, it seems the Zipless One has been zipped up — and by her own hand. Jong has taken her own experience and decided it is exemplary of her generation’s experience, and thus can pretend that by discussing herself she is really discussing the female condition. And sometimes she’s right. But a lot of times she’s not, which is the true failure here. It’s not so bad that Jong would have the pretensions, or guts, to write a memoir when she was 50. She’s a smart, interesting woman, after all. It’s that she doesn’t, ultimately, have the guts to limit herself to herself. Jong hides behind her gender, and she ends up pontificating when she should have been simply describing. It is one of the first rules of creative writing: Show, don’t tell. B-
Fear of Fifty: A Midlife MemoirSome mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in Fear of Fifty: A Midlife MemoirMemoir, BiographyErica JongSome mothers and daughters overidentify with each other. Erica Jong overidentifies with her mother. Erica Jong has finally realized this, and in 1994-08-05
Genre: Memoir, Biography; Author: Erica Jong
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!