Most of this Orson Welles lost masterpiece is a nearly hour-long reconstruction of the unfinished ”Four Men on a Raft,” an episode the director shot in Brazil for an ill-fated documentary. Prefaced on It’s All True by a half hour of interviews with participants who recall the project’s slide into disaster, ”Raft” — the chronicle of a daring voyage by a group of poverty-stricken seamen — is an impressive piece of work that’s beautifully conceived and photographed and often quite moving. It’s scarcely Welles’ most original concoction, overflowing as it is with echoes of F.W. Murnau’s Tabu and Eisenstein’s similarly doomed Que Viva Mexico. Since minor Welles is better than ”major” anything else, though, there’s not much to complain about here. A-
It's All TrueMost of this Orson Welles lost masterpiece is a nearly hour-long reconstruction of the unfinished ''Four Men on a Raft,'' an episode the director shot in ...It's All TrueDocumentaryGMost of this Orson Welles lost masterpiece is a nearly hour-long reconstruction of the unfinished ''Four Men on a Raft,'' an episode the director shot in ...1994-08-05
Genre: Documentary; Director: Orson Welles; MPAA Rating: G
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!