If you can stomach director Robert Altman’s misanthropy and dripping contempt for American culture, this deluxe three-laserdisc version is all the Short Cuts you’ll ever need. The wide-screen transfer is gorgeous, and there’s a supplemental section with six commercials and two trailers, a career documentary, previously deleted scenes, an audio-only appreciation by longtime Altman booster Pauline Kael, and the complete texts of the Raymond Carver stories on which the film is based. But note: Criterion has arranged chapter stops so that — theoretically — you can program your laserdisc player to track each of the interweaving stories separately. Unfortunately, that means you have to constantly get up to change the discs. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Andie MacDowell, Tim Robbins, Bruce Davison, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Lyle Lovett, Frances McDormand, Matthew Modine, Julianne Moore, Chris Penn, Lily Tomlin, Tom Waits; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Frank Barhydt; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!