If you can stomach director Robert Altman’s misanthropy and dripping contempt for American culture, this deluxe three-laserdisc version is all the Short Cuts you’ll ever need. The wide-screen transfer is gorgeous, and there’s a supplemental section with six commercials and two trailers, a career documentary, previously deleted scenes, an audio-only appreciation by longtime Altman booster Pauline Kael, and the complete texts of the Raymond Carver stories on which the film is based. But note: Criterion has arranged chapter stops so that — theoretically — you can program your laserdisc player to track each of the interweaving stories separately. Unfortunately, that means you have to constantly get up to change the discs. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Andie MacDowell, Tim Robbins, Bruce Davison, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Lyle Lovett, Frances McDormand, Matthew Modine, Julianne Moore, Chris Penn, Lily Tomlin, Tom Waits; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Frank Barhydt; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!