If you can stomach director Robert Altman’s misanthropy and dripping contempt for American culture, this deluxe three-laserdisc version is all the Short Cuts you’ll ever need. The wide-screen transfer is gorgeous, and there’s a supplemental section with six commercials and two trailers, a career documentary, previously deleted scenes, an audio-only appreciation by longtime Altman booster Pauline Kael, and the complete texts of the Raymond Carver stories on which the film is based. But note: Criterion has arranged chapter stops so that — theoretically — you can program your laserdisc player to track each of the interweaving stories separately. Unfortunately, that means you have to constantly get up to change the discs. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Andie MacDowell, Tim Robbins, Bruce Davison, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Lyle Lovett, Frances McDormand, Matthew Modine, Julianne Moore, Chris Penn, Lily Tomlin, Tom Waits; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Frank Barhydt; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!