If you can stomach director Robert Altman’s misanthropy and dripping contempt for American culture, this deluxe three-laserdisc version is all the Short Cuts you’ll ever need. The wide-screen transfer is gorgeous, and there’s a supplemental section with six commercials and two trailers, a career documentary, previously deleted scenes, an audio-only appreciation by longtime Altman booster Pauline Kael, and the complete texts of the Raymond Carver stories on which the film is based. But note: Criterion has arranged chapter stops so that — theoretically — you can program your laserdisc player to track each of the interweaving stories separately. Unfortunately, that means you have to constantly get up to change the discs. B-
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Andie MacDowell, Tim Robbins, Bruce Davison, Robert Downey Jr., Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jack Lemmon, Lyle Lovett, Frances McDormand, Matthew Modine, Julianne Moore, Chris Penn, Lily Tomlin, Tom Waits; Director: Robert Altman; Author: Robert Altman, Frank Barhydt; MPAA Rating: R
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Age of Ultron': Q&A with Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road': Charlize Theron goes bald, badass for action epic
- Can you match these hit songs with the musicians who wrote them?
- Watch Coach freak out during sex ed in 'New Girl' clip
- Average movie ticket price drops to $8.12 in first quarter
- On the Books: Drax the Destroyer of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' gets his own comic book
- Watch the new music video for Jamie xx's 'Gosh'