When director Andrew Bergman was putting the finishing touches on his romantic comedy starring Bridget Fonda and Nicolas Cage, he discovered the film had one problem: its title. ”Every time we screened the picture the audience just hated the name,” says Bergman of the then-titled Cop Tips Waitress. ”So we thought, maybe we should change it.” Thus began a series of transformations that resemble the tortured genealogy of an Old Testament clan: Cop Tips Waitress begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 M, which begat Cop Tips Waitress 2 Million Dollars, which begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat The 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat the film’s final name, It Could Happen to You. The title changes also begat utter confusion. Says Bergman: ”My costume designer took the picture thinking she was working on Kafka’s Waitress.”
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'