When director Andrew Bergman was putting the finishing touches on his romantic comedy starring Bridget Fonda and Nicolas Cage, he discovered the film had one problem: its title. ”Every time we screened the picture the audience just hated the name,” says Bergman of the then-titled Cop Tips Waitress. ”So we thought, maybe we should change it.” Thus began a series of transformations that resemble the tortured genealogy of an Old Testament clan: Cop Tips Waitress begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 M, which begat Cop Tips Waitress 2 Million Dollars, which begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat The 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat the film’s final name, It Could Happen to You. The title changes also begat utter confusion. Says Bergman: ”My costume designer took the picture thinking she was working on Kafka’s Waitress.”
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' widow pens essay about his brain disorder
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake