When director Andrew Bergman was putting the finishing touches on his romantic comedy starring Bridget Fonda and Nicolas Cage, he discovered the film had one problem: its title. ”Every time we screened the picture the audience just hated the name,” says Bergman of the then-titled Cop Tips Waitress. ”So we thought, maybe we should change it.” Thus began a series of transformations that resemble the tortured genealogy of an Old Testament clan: Cop Tips Waitress begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 M, which begat Cop Tips Waitress 2 Million Dollars, which begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat The 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat the film’s final name, It Could Happen to You. The title changes also begat utter confusion. Says Bergman: ”My costume designer took the picture thinking she was working on Kafka’s Waitress.”
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'