When director Andrew Bergman was putting the finishing touches on his romantic comedy starring Bridget Fonda and Nicolas Cage, he discovered the film had one problem: its title. ”Every time we screened the picture the audience just hated the name,” says Bergman of the then-titled Cop Tips Waitress. ”So we thought, maybe we should change it.” Thus began a series of transformations that resemble the tortured genealogy of an Old Testament clan: Cop Tips Waitress begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 M, which begat Cop Tips Waitress 2 Million Dollars, which begat Cop Gives Waitress 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat The 2 Million Dollar Tip, which begat the film’s final name, It Could Happen to You. The title changes also begat utter confusion. Says Bergman: ”My costume designer took the picture thinking she was working on Kafka’s Waitress.”
Posted August 5 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- '12 Monkeys' boss answers some burning questions
- 'The Founder' starring Michael Keaton gets November 2016 release
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!