Food isn’t just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee’s bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and individual desires; food is also food, meant to be tasted, savored, and shared. And there’s plenty of it, exquisitely cooked and presented in this generous story (set and shot in Taiwan) from the writer-director of The Wedding Banquet. Sihung Lung (Banquet) plays widowed master chef Mr. Chu, who is losing his sense of taste while his three daughters are developing sexual appetites of their own. The personalities in this well-drawn family combine to produce subtle new flavors — and in the end, no one is spiced as you’d imagined they’d be. A-
Eat Drink Man WomanFood isn't just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee's bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and...Eat Drink Man WomanForeign Language, ComedyAng LeeUnratedFood isn't just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee's bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and...1994-08-12
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Sihung Lung; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Ang Lee; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?
- CBS pulls 'Angel From Hell' from schedule
- 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee' premiere: Talk about it here