Food isn’t just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee’s bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and individual desires; food is also food, meant to be tasted, savored, and shared. And there’s plenty of it, exquisitely cooked and presented in this generous story (set and shot in Taiwan) from the writer-director of The Wedding Banquet. Sihung Lung (Banquet) plays widowed master chef Mr. Chu, who is losing his sense of taste while his three daughters are developing sexual appetites of their own. The personalities in this well-drawn family combine to produce subtle new flavors — and in the end, no one is spiced as you’d imagined they’d be. A-
Eat Drink Man WomanFood isn't just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee's bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and...Eat Drink Man WomanForeign Language, ComedyAng LeeUnratedFood isn't just a metaphor for love in Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee's bighearted comedy about the conflicts of family ties and...1994-08-12
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Sihung Lung; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Ang Lee; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!