As tragedies go, the 1977 airplane crash that killed three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd just as the Southern rockers were nearing superstardom is closer to a disaster affecting an entire community — a schoolbus wreck, say, or a mining accident — than the usual rock star calamity. Few bands have so succinctly articulated the regional complexities of American desire and shame. Skynyrd, perhaps more for the fans than for themselves, have made previous attempts to reunite. But the psychic wounds were slower to heal than their guitar-picking fingers. For the first time since the accident, they have found a meaningful way to celebrate the band’s history. That’s because, unlike most greatest-hits packages, Endangered Species, which includes ”unplugged” versions of their ’70s material, has intrinsic emotional power of its own. Performed by the group’s revamped ’90s lineup, including four original members and the late singer Ronnie Van Zant’s younger brother, Johnny, it’s the latter’s moving vocals and the bittersweet slide guitars moaning through such classics as ”Sweet Home Alabama” and ”Saturday Night Special” that provide the salve and the solace of a perfect eulogy. A
Endangered Species As tragedies go, the 1977 airplane crash that killed three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd just as the Southern rockers were nearing superstardom is closer...Endangered SpeciesHip-Hop/Rap As tragedies go, the 1977 airplane crash that killed three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd just as the Southern rockers were nearing superstardom is closer...1994-08-12
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Big Punisher; Producer (group): Loud
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!