Look, out there on the best-seller list…it’s a fashion industry expose! It’s a woman’s coming-of-age book! It’s a dysfunctional family/screaming biological clock/reneging birth mother blowout! Actually, it’s the latest novel from one of the more successful disciples of Judith Krantz — which is to say it is all of the above and none of them at exactly the same time. Fashionably Late is the story of Karen Kahn, a middle-class Jewish girl from Brooklyn who becomes a highly successful clothing designer and bears a startling resemblance to that other sprung-from-the-middle-class designer Donna Karan. The book is peopled by the usual beautiful suspects — Calvin, Linda, Iman, Anna Wintour — as well as some more generic types: the everygayman hairdresser, the everyimmigrantwoman seamstress, the everybusinessman sleazeball. But then, you don’t read Olivia Goldsmith for her finely etched character studies. The world of her heroine, who has a tendency to sprinkle both Yiddish and French phrases throughout her conversation, may seem glamorous, but it’s crumbling around her. Adultery, betrayal, and true friendship are the real subjects here; unfortunately, they’re not as exciting or interesting as the glitz. As Goldsmith well knows, fashion people have become the superstars of the ’90s, but what she has forgotten is that we don’t want to see our superstars with feet of clay. We want to see them in rhinestone-strapped Manolo Blahniks. The real Donna Karan is a lot more interesting than her fictional counterpart. Which is not to say the book won’t sell like Donna Karan bodysuits. B+
Fashionably Late (Book - Olivia Goldsmith) Look, out there on the best-seller list...it's a fashion industry expose! It's a woman's coming-of-age book! It's a dysfunctional family/screaming...Fashionably Late (Book - Olivia Goldsmith)FictionOlivia Goldsmith Look, out there on the best-seller list...it's a fashion industry expose! It's a woman's coming-of-age book! It's a dysfunctional family/screaming...1994-08-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: Olivia Goldsmith
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Joffrey comments on violence against women on 'Game of Thrones'
- Zayn Malik signs with RCA, says he 'left' 1D to 'show you who I really am'
- Cat Power will narrate the Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis'
- Niles Rodgers talks making 'cool as s--t' music with Beck
- Brie Larson's 'Room' gets October release date
- Trevor Noah delivers race-focused stand-up set, talks taking over for Jon Stewart
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!