Look, out there on the best-seller list…it’s a fashion industry expose! It’s a woman’s coming-of-age book! It’s a dysfunctional family/screaming biological clock/reneging birth mother blowout! Actually, it’s the latest novel from one of the more successful disciples of Judith Krantz — which is to say it is all of the above and none of them at exactly the same time. Fashionably Late is the story of Karen Kahn, a middle-class Jewish girl from Brooklyn who becomes a highly successful clothing designer and bears a startling resemblance to that other sprung-from-the-middle-class designer Donna Karan. The book is peopled by the usual beautiful suspects — Calvin, Linda, Iman, Anna Wintour — as well as some more generic types: the everygayman hairdresser, the everyimmigrantwoman seamstress, the everybusinessman sleazeball. But then, you don’t read Olivia Goldsmith for her finely etched character studies. The world of her heroine, who has a tendency to sprinkle both Yiddish and French phrases throughout her conversation, may seem glamorous, but it’s crumbling around her. Adultery, betrayal, and true friendship are the real subjects here; unfortunately, they’re not as exciting or interesting as the glitz. As Goldsmith well knows, fashion people have become the superstars of the ’90s, but what she has forgotten is that we don’t want to see our superstars with feet of clay. We want to see them in rhinestone-strapped Manolo Blahniks. The real Donna Karan is a lot more interesting than her fictional counterpart. Which is not to say the book won’t sell like Donna Karan bodysuits. B+
Fashionably Late (Book - Olivia Goldsmith) Look, out there on the best-seller list...it's a fashion industry expose! It's a woman's coming-of-age book! It's a dysfunctional family/screaming...Fashionably Late (Book - Olivia Goldsmith)FictionOlivia Goldsmith Look, out there on the best-seller list...it's a fashion industry expose! It's a woman's coming-of-age book! It's a dysfunctional family/screaming...1994-08-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: Olivia Goldsmith
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- Amanda Peet says Jon Snow's death ended her marriage (she's kidding)
- Meghan Trainor posts update on vocal surgery recovery
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!