When it comes to daytime drama, Gloria Loring would rather be heard than seen. On CBS’ Guiding Light, that’s Loring’s voice crooning Mindy’s new theme, ”Is There Anybody Out There?,” which is also the title track of her latest album. No stranger to TV tunes, Loring, 47, has sung the themes for such shows as The Facts of Life (cowritten with ex-husband Alan Thicke) and Diff’rent Strokes. Yet soap fans may know her best for her 1980-86 stint as Liz Chandler on Days of Our Lives. Though she misses acting, she doesn’t miss the soaps’ crank-it-out pace. ”At the time I left, I was really tired of pushing the drama,” Loring says. ”Especially during the ratings [weeks]. In six and a half years I was shot twice, mugged, had amnesia, shot my boyfriend’s fiancee, had my child kidnapped, was kidnapped by my father-in-law…. But of course, [Liz] always had time to sing!”
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante releases free new music
- Stevie Wonder and Andra Day cover a Christmas classic in new Apple commercial
- Michael B. Jordan on boxing in 'Creed': 'Every punch is a line'
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 6, 'Three Monkeys'
- Fox News contributor gets death threats for mocking 'Star Wars' fans
- Glenn Danzig shares stories behind songs on new covers album
- See 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' come to life in 'Disney Infinity 3.0'
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year