When it comes to daytime drama, Gloria Loring would rather be heard than seen. On CBS’ Guiding Light, that’s Loring’s voice crooning Mindy’s new theme, ”Is There Anybody Out There?,” which is also the title track of her latest album. No stranger to TV tunes, Loring, 47, has sung the themes for such shows as The Facts of Life (cowritten with ex-husband Alan Thicke) and Diff’rent Strokes. Yet soap fans may know her best for her 1980-86 stint as Liz Chandler on Days of Our Lives. Though she misses acting, she doesn’t miss the soaps’ crank-it-out pace. ”At the time I left, I was really tired of pushing the drama,” Loring says. ”Especially during the ratings [weeks]. In six and a half years I was shot twice, mugged, had amnesia, shot my boyfriend’s fiancee, had my child kidnapped, was kidnapped by my father-in-law…. But of course, [Liz] always had time to sing!”
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7 million in opening weekend
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!