Here’s a mourner’s feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to…well, this is How Did They Die? Volume 3, so Norman Donaldson’s probably standing vigil to see who’ll perish next for volume 4. In this edition, you’ll find these monumental morsels: Bing Crosby was laid to rest extra-deep so his wife could be interred over him in the crowded cemetery; Groucho Marx’s ashes have been stolen; Woody Guthrie’s ashes wouldn’t pour out of the container, so son Arlo threw the whole thing into the ocean, and Marc Antony gave Cicero’s severed parts to Mrs. Antony, who mutilated the head. With post-mortem messes like these, dying hardly seems an attractive prospect. But the whole, uh, undertaking makes for good bedside reading. B+
How Did They Die? Volume 3Here's a mourner's feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to...well, this is How Did They Die?...How Did They Die? Volume 3Pop Culture, HistoryNorman DonaldsonHere's a mourner's feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to...well, this is How Did They Die?...1994-08-12
Genre: Pop Culture, History; Author: Norman Donaldson
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Watch Weird Al portray Jesus Christ in a silent film
- Lionsgate developing 'Now You See Me 3'
- Danny Trejo joins 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series': First Look
- New 'Magic Mike XXL' poster is all about the abs
- J.K. Rowling—er, Robert Galbraith—is editing the latest Cormoran Strike novel
- 'World War Z' sequel set for 2017 release
- 'Human Centipede 3': What disgusting prop did the director take home?
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!