Here’s a mourner’s feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to…well, this is How Did They Die? Volume 3, so Norman Donaldson’s probably standing vigil to see who’ll perish next for volume 4. In this edition, you’ll find these monumental morsels: Bing Crosby was laid to rest extra-deep so his wife could be interred over him in the crowded cemetery; Groucho Marx’s ashes have been stolen; Woody Guthrie’s ashes wouldn’t pour out of the container, so son Arlo threw the whole thing into the ocean, and Marc Antony gave Cicero’s severed parts to Mrs. Antony, who mutilated the head. With post-mortem messes like these, dying hardly seems an attractive prospect. But the whole, uh, undertaking makes for good bedside reading. B+
How Did They Die? Volume 3Here's a mourner's feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to...well, this is How Did They Die?...How Did They Die? Volume 3Pop Culture, HistoryNorman DonaldsonHere's a mourner's feast of more than 200 lively death notices of notables from Pliny the Elder (d. 79 A.D.) to...well, this is How Did They Die?...1994-08-12
Genre: Pop Culture, History; Author: Norman Donaldson
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!