Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I’ll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding. Nick Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, aging but still idealistic Hollywood actor and dad to spoiled Jeannie (Whittni Wright). Albert Brooks and Julie Kavner provide comic relief as a Joel Silver-type producer and the woman who loves him. People sing in musicals to express hopes and fears, and without songs these characters seem more repressed than ever. Would it have been a more honorable failure with musical numbers and scruples intact? I suspect so, but we’ll have to wait for a director’s-cut laserdisc to find out. C
I'll Do AnythingInfamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....I'll Do AnythingRomance, ComedyJames L. BrooksPG-13Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....1994-08-12Ian McKellen
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Albert Brooks, Nick Nolte, Whittni Wright, Ian McKellen; Director: James L. Brooks; Author: James L. Brooks; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Jack Osbourne on his 'awkward, terrible years' on family's reality show
- Bianca Del Rio nabs comedy special, 'Not Today Bianca'
- NBC eyes 'Will & Grace' revival in wake of successful election short
- '24: Legacy' trailer views catching up with 'This Is Us' record
- Ang Lee on entering ‘unknown territory’ with high-tech 'Billy Lynn'
- 'The Walking Dead': Huge return cements its status as appointment TV
- Find out who won EW's Best Pop Culture President bracket