Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I’ll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding. Nick Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, aging but still idealistic Hollywood actor and dad to spoiled Jeannie (Whittni Wright). Albert Brooks and Julie Kavner provide comic relief as a Joel Silver-type producer and the woman who loves him. People sing in musicals to express hopes and fears, and without songs these characters seem more repressed than ever. Would it have been a more honorable failure with musical numbers and scruples intact? I suspect so, but we’ll have to wait for a director’s-cut laserdisc to find out. C
I'll Do AnythingInfamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....I'll Do AnythingRomance, ComedyJames L. BrooksPG-13Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....1994-08-12Ian McKellen
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Albert Brooks, Nick Nolte, Whittni Wright, Ian McKellen; Director: James L. Brooks; Author: James L. Brooks; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!