Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I’ll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding. Nick Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, aging but still idealistic Hollywood actor and dad to spoiled Jeannie (Whittni Wright). Albert Brooks and Julie Kavner provide comic relief as a Joel Silver-type producer and the woman who loves him. People sing in musicals to express hopes and fears, and without songs these characters seem more repressed than ever. Would it have been a more honorable failure with musical numbers and scruples intact? I suspect so, but we’ll have to wait for a director’s-cut laserdisc to find out. C
I'll Do AnythingInfamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....I'll Do AnythingRomance, ComedyJames L. BrooksPG-13Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....1994-08-12Ian McKellen
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Albert Brooks, Nick Nolte, Whittni Wright, Ian McKellen; Director: James L. Brooks; Author: James L. Brooks; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' exclusive: Who's returning for season 2?
- Who should replace Donald Trump as host of 'The Apprentice'?
- Donald Trump is suing Univision
- You can now listen to Matt Bomer cover D'Angelo
- 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' comics are coming: EW exclusive reveal of Green Ranger cover
- Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner to divorce
- Rob Thomas details new solo album 'The Great Unknown'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!