Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I’ll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding. Nick Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, aging but still idealistic Hollywood actor and dad to spoiled Jeannie (Whittni Wright). Albert Brooks and Julie Kavner provide comic relief as a Joel Silver-type producer and the woman who loves him. People sing in musicals to express hopes and fears, and without songs these characters seem more repressed than ever. Would it have been a more honorable failure with musical numbers and scruples intact? I suspect so, but we’ll have to wait for a director’s-cut laserdisc to find out. C
I'll Do AnythingInfamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....I'll Do AnythingRomance, ComedyJames L. BrooksPG-13Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....1994-08-12Ian McKellen
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Albert Brooks, Nick Nolte, Whittni Wright, Ian McKellen; Director: James L. Brooks; Author: James L. Brooks; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt