Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I’ll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding. Nick Nolte plays Matt Hobbs, aging but still idealistic Hollywood actor and dad to spoiled Jeannie (Whittni Wright). Albert Brooks and Julie Kavner provide comic relief as a Joel Silver-type producer and the woman who loves him. People sing in musicals to express hopes and fears, and without songs these characters seem more repressed than ever. Would it have been a more honorable failure with musical numbers and scruples intact? I suspect so, but we’ll have to wait for a director’s-cut laserdisc to find out. C
I'll Do AnythingInfamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....I'll Do AnythingRomance, ComedyJames L. BrooksPG-13Infamous as the musical that was shorn of its songs when test audiences rebelled, I'll Do Anything now stands as a flat-footed gelding....1994-08-12Ian McKellen
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Albert Brooks, Nick Nolte, Whittni Wright, Ian McKellen; Director: James L. Brooks; Author: James L. Brooks; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Bruce Jenner E! show about life as transgender woman will air in July
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo