A Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson’s film of a Resistance fighter’s escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ”a true story unadorned,” and it is Bresson’s unadorned, almost ascetic style that lifts the tale beyond a genre piece. He makes us identify so strongly with the doe-eyed protagonist (Francois Leterrier) and draws us so compellingly into the precision of his breakout plans that we, too, feel the terrifying silences and experience the prisoner’s anxieties about imminent death or freedom. A+
A Man EscapedA Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson's film of a Resistance fighter's escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ''a true...A Man EscapedDrama, Foreign LanguageUnratedA Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson's film of a Resistance fighter's escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ''a true...1994-08-12
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Francois Leterrier, Charles LeClainiche; Director: Robert Bresson; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!