A Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson’s film of a Resistance fighter’s escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ”a true story unadorned,” and it is Bresson’s unadorned, almost ascetic style that lifts the tale beyond a genre piece. He makes us identify so strongly with the doe-eyed protagonist (Francois Leterrier) and draws us so compellingly into the precision of his breakout plans that we, too, feel the terrifying silences and experience the prisoner’s anxieties about imminent death or freedom. A+
A Man EscapedA Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson's film of a Resistance fighter's escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ''a true...A Man EscapedDrama, Foreign LanguageUnratedA Man Escaped, director Robert Bresson's film of a Resistance fighter's escape from a Nazi prison, is, as a prologue reads, ''a true...1994-08-12
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Francois Leterrier, Charles LeClainiche; Director: Robert Bresson; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 12 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!