Too many sports movies talk down to fans, using the game as window dressing for a bland story line. But William Friedkin’s Blue Chips, about the seedy underbelly of college hoops, is an exception — a basketball film with street cred. Nick Nolte plays the hot-tempered Bobby Knight-like coach who caves in to pressure to recruit top players by buying them. And while his gut-wrenching ethical gymnastics will keep nonfans interested, jocks will delight in the movie’s quick-cutting game sequences (which play perfectly on the small screen) and its cast of real-life b-ball stars, such as Shaq, Anfernee Hardaway, and Larry Bird. B+
Genre: Drama, Sports; Starring: Mary McDonnell, Nick Nolte, Shaquille O'Neal, Ed O'Neill, J.T. Walsh, Alfre Woodard, Robert Wuhl; Director: William Friedkin; Author: Ron Shelton; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 19 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!