Too many sports movies talk down to fans, using the game as window dressing for a bland story line. But William Friedkin’s Blue Chips, about the seedy underbelly of college hoops, is an exception — a basketball film with street cred. Nick Nolte plays the hot-tempered Bobby Knight-like coach who caves in to pressure to recruit top players by buying them. And while his gut-wrenching ethical gymnastics will keep nonfans interested, jocks will delight in the movie’s quick-cutting game sequences (which play perfectly on the small screen) and its cast of real-life b-ball stars, such as Shaq, Anfernee Hardaway, and Larry Bird. B+
Blue ChipsToo many sports movies talk down to fans, using the game as window dressing for a bland story line. But William Friedkin's Blue Chips,...Blue ChipsDrama, SportsRon SheltonPG-13Too many sports movies talk down to fans, using the game as window dressing for a bland story line. But William Friedkin's Blue Chips,...1994-08-19Shaquille O'NealEd O'NeillJ.T. WalshAlfre WoodardRobert WuhlShaquille O'Neal, Ed O'Neill, J.T. Walsh, Alfre Woodard, Robert Wuhl
Genre: Drama, Sports; Starring: Mary McDonnell, Nick Nolte, Shaquille O'Neal, Ed O'Neill, J.T. Walsh, Alfre Woodard, Robert Wuhl; Director: William Friedkin; Author: Ron Shelton; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 19 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!