At first Richard Burgi wasn’t thrilled to be working with one of Charlie’s Angels. ”Frankly, I was negative about it,” recalls Burgi, 36, who costars with Cheryl Ladd on CBS’ One West Waikiki. ”I wasn’t one of those masturbatory youths transformed by her.” But as a veteran of four soaps (most notably Another World, playing creepy pimp Chad from 1986-87), Burgi was in no position to lord it over Ladd. ”I thought, ‘Give her a chance.’ It’s like people dismiss me ‘cause I was on daytime. Cheryl has great energy and integrity, so I’m grateful I got over my superiority thing.” If One West returns after the summer, Burgi, an ex-construction worker from New Jersey (who also played a pediatrician eyed by Elaine on Seinfeld last season), would be happy to hang in Hawaii: ”There are worse places — I’m not in Sarajevo!”
Posted August 19 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Critic's Mailbag: EW's movie critic wants to hear from you
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- 'Doctor Who' star Peter Capaldi to appear at Comic-Con
- Elizabeth Gillies: From child star to 'Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll'
- Grumpy Cat is getting a comic book series
- 'Orange is the New Black' star to join Broadway's 'The Color Purple'
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!