Booted from its original release date in August, The Next Karate Kid (the fourth film in the series) sees Noriyuki ”Pat” Morita teaching a new generation to wax on, wax off. Another summer holdout, The Scout, throws wild pitcher Brendan Fraser into the majors. Making her big-screen debut, k.d. lang stars as a woman in Alaska who passes for a man in Salmonberries. The Glass Shield teams Michael Boatman (China Beach) and Lori Petty as officers out to expose LAPD corruption. The Stillers (Ben, Jerry, and Anne Meara) help move along Heavyweights, a comic battle between a weight-loss camp and a fitness camp. Mysterious beauty Phoebe Cates dupes 19th-century English villagers into thinking she must be the Javanese Princess Caraboo. It’s time for androgyny in Julia Sweeney’s feature-length Saturday Night Live sketch, It’s Pat. An unparalleled box office success in Germany, Making Up! pokes fun at romance. In Rapa Nui, Jason Scott Lee (left top) plays a prince fighting for love and a dynasty on 16th-century Easter Island. Deception rules Great Moments in Aviation as a group of travelers, including Jonathan Pryce and Vanessa Redgrave, bond on a transatlantic cruise. Winner of Best Director at Cannes, Nanni Moretti’s Caro Diario (Dear Diary) documents the Italian director’s daily life in Rome. In 1930s Latin America, Marcello Mastroianni overcomes a town’s prejudice to fall for a dwarf in I Don’t Want to Talk About It.
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday