For more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton’s ”Cocaine” and ”After Midnight”) has specialized in subdued country shuffles that stress groove over flash. On Closer to You, Cale’s laid-back, low-tech approach sounds like Mark Knopfler puttering in the next room. But despite winners like the careening ”Borrowed Time,” his sleepy delivery is generally more quirky than compelling. B-
Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...1994-08-26
Lead Performer: J.J. Cale; Producer (group): Virgin
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner discusses the realities of dating as a transgender woman in new 'I Am Cait' clip
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Nick Jonas passionately lip-synced to ‘Let It Go’ at Demi Lovato’s pre-VMAs concert
- Vin Diesel teases a sequel to 'The Iron Giant'
- J.K. Rowling, Joyce Carol Oates, and more pay tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Box office report: 'Straight Outta Compton' wins again
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!