For more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton’s ”Cocaine” and ”After Midnight”) has specialized in subdued country shuffles that stress groove over flash. On Closer to You, Cale’s laid-back, low-tech approach sounds like Mark Knopfler puttering in the next room. But despite winners like the careening ”Borrowed Time,” his sleepy delivery is generally more quirky than compelling. B-
Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...1994-08-26
Lead Performer: J.J. Cale; Producer (group): Virgin
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!