For more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton’s ”Cocaine” and ”After Midnight”) has specialized in subdued country shuffles that stress groove over flash. On Closer to You, Cale’s laid-back, low-tech approach sounds like Mark Knopfler puttering in the next room. But despite winners like the careening ”Borrowed Time,” his sleepy delivery is generally more quirky than compelling. B-
Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...Closer to YouFor more than two decades, this idiosyncratic Oklahoma songwriter (Eric Clapton's ''Cocaine'' and ''After Midnight'') has specialized in subdued country...1994-08-26
Lead Performer: J.J. Cale; Producer (group): Virgin
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!