Threatened by evil sorcerer Jack Palance (in a familiar pose below), Sandy Duncan must be saved by a frog (John Cleese) in The Swan Princess, a $35 million animated musical based on the Swan Lake legend. For Keenen Ivory Wayans, it’s a Low Down Dirty Shame that his private-eye case lands him in the path of a deadly drug lord. In Double Dragon, Alyssa Milano brings the popular video game to life. Bridget Fonda and Jessica Tandy flee their men and take to the road in Camilla. NYPD Blue’s Nicholas Turturro goes from cop sidekick to leading man in Federal Hill, playing a small-time Rhode Island hustler. The Australian import Red, the story of a doomed May-December romance, concludes Krzysztof Kieslowski’s acclaimed Three Colors trilogy. Jealousy tears apart a French couple in Claude Chabrol’s L’Enfer, starring Emmanuelle Beart (at right). Rory Cochrane (Dazed and Confused’s stoner dude) joins a road opera traveling in East Texas in writer-director C.M. Talkington’s debut, Love and a .45. In El Bulto, a Mexican activist awakens from a coma after 20 years to find the world hasn’t changed for the better. Ju Dou’s team of director Zhang Yimou and star Gong Li return with To Live, an epic tale of China from the 1940s to the Cultural Revolution. Oscar Wilde inspires a Dublin bus conductor (Albert Finney) to express his love for a passenger by casting her in a play in A Man of No Importance. Kristin Scott-Thomas (Four Weddings and a Funeral) goes Romanian in Lucian Pintilie’s An Unforgettable Summer, about a young wife who gets caught up in ethnic turmoil in Eastern Europe. Italy’s The Neapolitan Mathematician enters the dreamlike world of an intellectual on the verge of suicide.
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'