Threatened by evil sorcerer Jack Palance (in a familiar pose below), Sandy Duncan must be saved by a frog (John Cleese) in The Swan Princess, a $35 million animated musical based on the Swan Lake legend. For Keenen Ivory Wayans, it’s a Low Down Dirty Shame that his private-eye case lands him in the path of a deadly drug lord. In Double Dragon, Alyssa Milano brings the popular video game to life. Bridget Fonda and Jessica Tandy flee their men and take to the road in Camilla. NYPD Blue’s Nicholas Turturro goes from cop sidekick to leading man in Federal Hill, playing a small-time Rhode Island hustler. The Australian import Red, the story of a doomed May-December romance, concludes Krzysztof Kieslowski’s acclaimed Three Colors trilogy. Jealousy tears apart a French couple in Claude Chabrol’s L’Enfer, starring Emmanuelle Beart (at right). Rory Cochrane (Dazed and Confused’s stoner dude) joins a road opera traveling in East Texas in writer-director C.M. Talkington’s debut, Love and a .45. In El Bulto, a Mexican activist awakens from a coma after 20 years to find the world hasn’t changed for the better. Ju Dou’s team of director Zhang Yimou and star Gong Li return with To Live, an epic tale of China from the 1940s to the Cultural Revolution. Oscar Wilde inspires a Dublin bus conductor (Albert Finney) to express his love for a passenger by casting her in a play in A Man of No Importance. Kristin Scott-Thomas (Four Weddings and a Funeral) goes Romanian in Lucian Pintilie’s An Unforgettable Summer, about a young wife who gets caught up in ethnic turmoil in Eastern Europe. Italy’s The Neapolitan Mathematician enters the dreamlike world of an intellectual on the verge of suicide.
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'