What does a No. 1 single fetch a singer these days? If you’re Lisa Loeb and the single is ”Stay” — the surprise hit off the Reality Bites soundtrack — it’s an all-out bidding war. Once Loeb’s song began heating up the charts last spring, several major-label execs outdid themselves trying to sign her. ”It was funny going to (Lisa’s) shows and seeing all these record-company people there,” says a spokesman for Geffen Records, which will soon announce it has signed the 26-year-old singer. ”Everyone was looking at each other, thinking, ‘I wonder how well they’re going to do?”’ In the heat of battle, other labels, including RCA and Madonna’s Maverick, lavished the star-to-be with gifts (like clothes and CDs), but the Geffen deal gives her the chance to share a label with the likes of Courtney Love and Sonic Youth. Loeb is currently holed up in upstate New York, whittling down a repertoire of 30-plus tunes (representing ”seven years of writing,” says her producer) to a more releasable 10 songs, which may reveal a deeper, darker side to the sweet, wispy-voiced chanteuse. Says a source close to Loeb: ”’Stay’ is as sweet as we’re going to get.”
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!