What does a No. 1 single fetch a singer these days? If you’re Lisa Loeb and the single is ”Stay” — the surprise hit off the Reality Bites soundtrack — it’s an all-out bidding war. Once Loeb’s song began heating up the charts last spring, several major-label execs outdid themselves trying to sign her. ”It was funny going to (Lisa’s) shows and seeing all these record-company people there,” says a spokesman for Geffen Records, which will soon announce it has signed the 26-year-old singer. ”Everyone was looking at each other, thinking, ‘I wonder how well they’re going to do?”’ In the heat of battle, other labels, including RCA and Madonna’s Maverick, lavished the star-to-be with gifts (like clothes and CDs), but the Geffen deal gives her the chance to share a label with the likes of Courtney Love and Sonic Youth. Loeb is currently holed up in upstate New York, whittling down a repertoire of 30-plus tunes (representing ”seven years of writing,” says her producer) to a more releasable 10 songs, which may reveal a deeper, darker side to the sweet, wispy-voiced chanteuse. Says a source close to Loeb: ”’Stay’ is as sweet as we’re going to get.”
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' breaks pre-order records
- Kristen Bell shares wedding photos for the first time
- Lilly Singh's debut book, 'HOW TO BE A BAWSE,' due out in 2017
- FOLD New York City: Nile Rodgers, Bette Midler to perform
- Baz Luhrmann's 'The Get Down' debuts new trailer
- Funny or Die to launch new original series 'Tween Fest'
- Meg Ryan on her onscreen reunion with Tom Hanks
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'