Primal Rage (Atari Games, price varies) It’s hard to say what’s more remarkable about this fighting contest: its immense 3-D-rendered dinosaur combatants or the fact that it marks the return to arcade prominence of Atari Games, which had been made nearly extinct by the likes of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II. True, the controls here are not as precise as they could be, but Primal Rage still represents a de-evolutionary leap over the competition. With its 33-inch monitor, eye-popping Ray Harryhausen-like animation, and gore-shutoff switch, this game is to other arcade games what a brontosaurus is to an iguana. A- –Bob Strauss
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office report: 'Focus' beats 'Fifty Shades'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!