First hunch: When the Academy Award nominations are announced next February, the makers of Forrest Gump may discover that life really is like a box of chocolates. Second hunch: At this point, it’s probably unwise to bet on the first hunch. Oscar mavens know that no matter what’s been released so far, the real contest is only now beginning. Last year, 15 of the 20 acting nominations and four of the five Best Picture nods went to films released after Labor Day. That’s why the film industry is looking to Quiz Show, directed by Robert Redford (left), to inaugurate the guessing-game season; word is particularly good on the performances of 1993 nominee Ralph Fiennes as contestant Charles Van Doren and 72-year-old Paul Scofield (a 1966 winner for A Man for All Seasons) as his father. Also in contention: first-time director Frank Darabont’s Stephen King adaptation, The Shawshank Redemption, and Academy darling Meryl Streep, rowing in the suspense thriller The River Wild for her 10th nomination overall and eighth in the so-far-underpopulated category of Best Actress.
Posted August 26 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taylor Swift brought her 'Bad Blood' squad to the VMAs red carpet
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!