Director Doug McHenry takes an ancient theme — redemptive love blooming amid a wreckage of brotherly rivalry and neighborly warfare — and sets his old-fashioned movie in violent, drug-addled, contempo-inner-city Houston. Allen Payne plays Jason, a good son; Bokeem Woodbine puts in a powerful performance as Joshua, his bad brother; and Jada Pinkett plays Jason’s sweetheart, Lyric, who dreams of a better life. The themes are big; the characters, however, are underdeveloped and appear poised to break into songs from West Side Story at a moment’s notice. C
Genre: Drama; Starring: Allen Payne, Jada Pinkett Smith, Eddie Griffin, Lisa Carson, Forest Whitaker, Bokeem Woodbine; Director: Doug McHenry; Author: Bobby Smith Jr.; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Gramercy Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' merge exclusive sneak peek
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!