Two and a half years ago, Victoria Williams discovered she had multiple sclerosis. Last year, friends like Pearl Jam and Lou Reed put together Sweet Relief, a tribute album to help cover her medical bills; that release created newfound interest in the somewhat eccentric Louisiana-born singer-songwriter. Inspired by Sweet Relief, and feeling healthier, Williams lays down her own version of ”Crazy Mary” on Loose, her third disc. Whether singing the psychedelic folk rock of ”Sunshine Country” or the bluesy ”Waterfall,” Williams is equally winning, but she’s especially effective in her duets with Soul Asylum’s Dave Pirner, particularly ”My Ally,” which highlights her unique gifts: lyrics with pathos and humor (”Standing on the pavement looking like an accident”), made even more touching by her high and oddly appealing tremolo-tinged voice. A-
Loose (Music - Victoria Williams) Two and a half years ago, Victoria Williams discovered she had multiple sclerosis. Last year, friends like Pearl Jam and Lou Reed put together Loose (Music - Victoria Williams) Two and a half years ago, Victoria Williams discovered she had multiple sclerosis. Last year, friends like Pearl Jam and Lou Reed put together 1994-10-21
Lead Performer: Victoria Williams; Producer (group): Atlantic, Mammoth
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More