With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will talk to journalists, then journalists will have nothing to write. Without Deep Throat, All the President’s Men could not have existed. And unfortunately for this (vehemently) unauthorized biography of S.I. Newhouse Jr., possibly the greatest of today’s major media barons, its author never found his Deep Throat. The result is a shadow of what could have been, a newspaper profile writ large (the book did, in fact, have its genesis in an article the author wrote for the Long Island tabloid Newsday). Newhouse is best known as the chairman and owner of Conde Nast and Random House, although most of his gigantic fortune is generated by a stable of newspapers and radio stations across the country. These properties give him immense power over scores of people, so it’s not really surprising that many people didn’t want to talk. And, thus, it’s also not really surprising that there’s not much that’s new here — except, maybe, a brief chapter about Newhouse’s close friendship with Red-baiting lawyer Roy Cohn. Those who follow the fortunes of glossy magazines with bated breath might find a kind of voyeuristic pleasure in this book, but those who hunger for the deeper story would do better to wait for another offering. Of course, given Newhouse’s reticence, they might never get a response. B-
Newhouse With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...NewhouseBiography, Pop CultureThomas Maier With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...1994-10-21
Genre: Biography, Pop Culture; Author: Thomas Maier
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...