With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will talk to journalists, then journalists will have nothing to write. Without Deep Throat, All the President’s Men could not have existed. And unfortunately for this (vehemently) unauthorized biography of S.I. Newhouse Jr., possibly the greatest of today’s major media barons, its author never found his Deep Throat. The result is a shadow of what could have been, a newspaper profile writ large (the book did, in fact, have its genesis in an article the author wrote for the Long Island tabloid Newsday). Newhouse is best known as the chairman and owner of Conde Nast and Random House, although most of his gigantic fortune is generated by a stable of newspapers and radio stations across the country. These properties give him immense power over scores of people, so it’s not really surprising that many people didn’t want to talk. And, thus, it’s also not really surprising that there’s not much that’s new here — except, maybe, a brief chapter about Newhouse’s close friendship with Red-baiting lawyer Roy Cohn. Those who follow the fortunes of glossy magazines with bated breath might find a kind of voyeuristic pleasure in this book, but those who hunger for the deeper story would do better to wait for another offering. Of course, given Newhouse’s reticence, they might never get a response. B-
Newhouse With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...NewhouseBiography, Pop CultureThomas Maier With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...1994-10-21
Genre: Biography, Pop Culture; Author: Thomas Maier
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!