With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will talk to journalists, then journalists will have nothing to write. Without Deep Throat, All the President’s Men could not have existed. And unfortunately for this (vehemently) unauthorized biography of S.I. Newhouse Jr., possibly the greatest of today’s major media barons, its author never found his Deep Throat. The result is a shadow of what could have been, a newspaper profile writ large (the book did, in fact, have its genesis in an article the author wrote for the Long Island tabloid Newsday). Newhouse is best known as the chairman and owner of Conde Nast and Random House, although most of his gigantic fortune is generated by a stable of newspapers and radio stations across the country. These properties give him immense power over scores of people, so it’s not really surprising that many people didn’t want to talk. And, thus, it’s also not really surprising that there’s not much that’s new here — except, maybe, a brief chapter about Newhouse’s close friendship with Red-baiting lawyer Roy Cohn. Those who follow the fortunes of glossy magazines with bated breath might find a kind of voyeuristic pleasure in this book, but those who hunger for the deeper story would do better to wait for another offering. Of course, given Newhouse’s reticence, they might never get a response. B-
Newhouse With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...NewhouseBiography, Pop CultureThomas Maier With all the attention that has surrounded investigative reporting since Woodward and Bernstein, one central reality has been lost: If no one will...1994-10-21
Genre: Biography, Pop Culture; Author: Thomas Maier
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfuss dishes about her new 'Veep' hairdo
- Matthew McConaughey to star in The Billionaire's Vinegar
- See the cover and an excerpt from E.K. Johnston's upcoming novel 'A Thousand Nights' -- exclusive
- Kat Dahlia teases 'I Think I'm In Love' video
- 'Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun previews season finale
- 'Outlander' featurette peeks at Jamie and Claire's future: 'You're tearing my guts out'
- Andy Grammer checks in: What it's like touring with his hit ‘Honey, I’m Good’ -- exclusive
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!