This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein’s picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools and, in the process, saw female students denigrated and skillfully silenced by male and female teachers, administrators, parents, and other students. Often the girls themselves were the worst denigrators: In one instance, they actually let a boy take over the girls’ science experiment because, as one girl explained, ”he has man’s hands.” Yet, through this retrograde traffic stride a few uncompromising students and teachers, most notably one Judy Logan, whose classroom brims with feminist books and quilts (one female student even says, ”Look at this room … stuff on women everywhere.”). Orenstein’s study should be required reading for all American teachers. And students. And everyone else. A
Schoolgirls: Young Women, Self-esteem, and the Confidence Gap This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein's picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools...Schoolgirls: Young Women, Self-esteem, and the Confidence GapWomen's Studies, Nonfiction, Self-Help and PsychologyPeggy Orenstein This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein's picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools...1994-10-21
Genre: Women's Studies, Nonfiction, Self-Help and Psychology; Author: Peggy Orenstein
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- Sam Smith loves Hozier's cover of 'Lay Me Down'
- David Tennant helps remix Shakespeare with hip-hop in app
- Saoirse Ronan struggles with homesickness in the first clip from 'Brooklyn'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!