This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein’s picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools and, in the process, saw female students denigrated and skillfully silenced by male and female teachers, administrators, parents, and other students. Often the girls themselves were the worst denigrators: In one instance, they actually let a boy take over the girls’ science experiment because, as one girl explained, ”he has man’s hands.” Yet, through this retrograde traffic stride a few uncompromising students and teachers, most notably one Judy Logan, whose classroom brims with feminist books and quilts (one female student even says, ”Look at this room … stuff on women everywhere.”). Orenstein’s study should be required reading for all American teachers. And students. And everyone else. A
Schoolgirls: Young Women, Self-esteem, and the Confidence Gap This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein's picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools...Schoolgirls: Young Women, Self-esteem, and the Confidence GapWomen's Studies, Nonfiction, Self-Help and PsychologyPeggy Orenstein This is 1994, right? So why does Orenstein's picture of education look remarkably like 1954? For a year she observed three California middle schools...1994-10-21
Genre: Women's Studies, Nonfiction, Self-Help and Psychology; Author: Peggy Orenstein
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Colin Trevorrow on 'Jurassic World's monster star Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with new single 'Trust You,' shares details of new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!