The most exhilarating movie in years. Writer-director Quentin Tarantino draws us into the lives of violently impassioned underworld characters who become figments of fury and grace and desire. The plot twists are like whims bubbling up from the filmmaker’s unconscious; the dialogue is of such fiendishly elaborate wit it suggests a Martin Scorsese film written by Preston Sturges. The superb cast includes John Travolta as a hit man who has to chaperon his boss’ party-girl wife (Uma Thurman); Bruce Willis as a palooka who wins the fight he’s been ordered to lose; and — in the film’s greatest performance — Samuel L. Jackson as Travolta’s partner, who delivers hypnotic bebop soliloquies. Pulp Fiction is the work of a new-style punk virtuoso. The thrill — and originality — of the film is the way it shows us characters acting far better than we expected in situations more threatening than we could have imagined. A
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Rosanna Arquette, Harvey Keitel, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames, Tim Roth, Eric Stoltz, Quentin Tarantino, Uma Thurman, Christopher Walken; Producer (person): Danny DeVito; Runtime (in minutes): 154; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!