”Where’s the beef?” critics carped, but the promise of on-screen sizzle between Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone produced a box office stampede, boosting The Specialist to the top slot. Its $14.32 million opening — narrowly edging ahead of the $14.26 million figure posted by Stallone’s previous actioner, Demolition Man, last October — made it the biggest Columbus Day weekend debut ever, and the second-best preholiday fall opener of all time, behind the $30.52 million sucked up by Bram Stoker’s Dracula in ‘92. The Marisa Tomei-Robert Downey Jr. love story Only You set far fewer pulses pounding, opening in third place with a just-okay $5.7 million.
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rihanna teases VMAs performance with abstract art video
- Here's how they make those movie sex scenes so sexy
- Robert Gant talks romancing Debbie Gibson in 'Summer of Dreams'
- 'Southside With You' reviews: What critics are saying
- 'Rogue One' trailer gets 'Friends' treatment in mash-up video
- Drake sent Rihanna a message... on a billboard
- Twitter challenges users to #MakeASongTitleLonger