”Where’s the beef?” critics carped, but the promise of on-screen sizzle between Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone produced a box office stampede, boosting The Specialist to the top slot. Its $14.32 million opening — narrowly edging ahead of the $14.26 million figure posted by Stallone’s previous actioner, Demolition Man, last October — made it the biggest Columbus Day weekend debut ever, and the second-best preholiday fall opener of all time, behind the $30.52 million sucked up by Bram Stoker’s Dracula in ‘92. The Marisa Tomei-Robert Downey Jr. love story Only You set far fewer pulses pounding, opening in third place with a just-okay $5.7 million.
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Drake is releasing more new music in December
- Charlie Puth cancels remainder of tour due to sickness
- Universal Studios Japan is getting an entire 'Minions'-themed area
- President Obama dances to 'Hotline Bling' with Usher, Janelle Monáe
- Bradley Cooper visited Lady Gaga on the set of 'Saturday Night Live'
- Viola Davis to campaign in supporting actress category for 'Fences'
- DJ Khaled documented his son's birth on Snapchat