”Where’s the beef?” critics carped, but the promise of on-screen sizzle between Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone produced a box office stampede, boosting The Specialist to the top slot. Its $14.32 million opening — narrowly edging ahead of the $14.26 million figure posted by Stallone’s previous actioner, Demolition Man, last October — made it the biggest Columbus Day weekend debut ever, and the second-best preholiday fall opener of all time, behind the $30.52 million sucked up by Bram Stoker’s Dracula in ‘92. The Marisa Tomei-Robert Downey Jr. love story Only You set far fewer pulses pounding, opening in third place with a just-okay $5.7 million.
Posted October 21 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'