”Where’s the beef?” critics carped, but the promise of on-screen sizzle between Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone produced a box office stampede, boosting The Specialist to the top slot. Its $14.32 million opening — narrowly edging ahead of the $14.26 million figure posted by Stallone’s previous actioner, Demolition Man, last October — made it the biggest Columbus Day weekend debut ever, and the second-best preholiday fall opener of all time, behind the $30.52 million sucked up by Bram Stoker’s Dracula in ‘92. The Marisa Tomei-Robert Downey Jr. love story Only You set far fewer pulses pounding, opening in third place with a just-okay $5.7 million.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!