Michener’s impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks like Hawaii, Chesapeake, and Texas. Uncharacteristically, this time there’s not much plot. Michener settles instead for a superficial ramble into the lives of some of the residents of the novel’s Florida retirement home, as well as residence director Andy Zorn’s routine problems: allotting parking spaces, a malfunctioning yogurt machine (three pages!), and asking an elderly man to clean up his mildly off-color jokes. Michener includes topics of greater import, of course (AIDS, Alzheimer’s, and the country’s litigation ”crisis”), but mostly writes as if little of consequence or interest happens after the age of 65. How many real-life senior citizens spend their wisest years dwelling on — and reading about — whether supper should be served at 5:30 or 6:30? D
Recessional Michener's impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks...RecessionalFictionJames A. Michener Michener's impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks...1994-10-28
Genre: Fiction; Author: James A. Michener
Posted October 28 1994 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Marvel's Jessica Jones is 'incredibly flawed'
- Want to buy Jesse's 'Breaking Bad' house?
- 'Outlander' exclusive: King Louis XV cast for season 2
- Matthew Broderick joins Broadway's dog play, Sylvia
- Hunter S. Thompson talks outlaws and Hell's Angels in new 'Blank on Blank' clip
- Get a first look at NBC’s new thriller 'Blindspot'
- Little Mix give Whitney Houston and Jason Derulo an awesome gospel-style mash up
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!