Michener’s impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks like Hawaii, Chesapeake, and Texas. Uncharacteristically, this time there’s not much plot. Michener settles instead for a superficial ramble into the lives of some of the residents of the novel’s Florida retirement home, as well as residence director Andy Zorn’s routine problems: allotting parking spaces, a malfunctioning yogurt machine (three pages!), and asking an elderly man to clean up his mildly off-color jokes. Michener includes topics of greater import, of course (AIDS, Alzheimer’s, and the country’s litigation ”crisis”), but mostly writes as if little of consequence or interest happens after the age of 65. How many real-life senior citizens spend their wisest years dwelling on — and reading about — whether supper should be served at 5:30 or 6:30? D
Recessional Michener's impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks...RecessionalFictionJames A. Michener Michener's impressive career began with Tales of the South Pacific and has continued with an output of almost 40 books, including landmarks...1994-10-28
Genre: Fiction; Author: James A. Michener
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!