An attempt at creating a sort of African-American version of The Twilight Zone, Cosmic Slop (HBO, Nov. 8, 10-11:30 p.m.) takes its title from funk musician George Clinton’s great composition of the same name. The wiggy Clinton also hosts this anthology series of supernatural tales: Think Rod Serling on acid. In ”Space Traders,” an alien who looks like Ronald Reagan offers the United States trillions of dollars if he can take every black person in America back to his planet. A genial bit of racial paranoia written by novelist Trey Ellis, this fable is carried through to its rigorously logical conclusion with mordant wit. In ”The First Commandment,” NYPD Blue’s Nicholas Turturro stars as a Catholic priest whose ghetto parish is visited by a saint whose statue has come to life — it’s disappointingly sentimental. ”Tang,” based on a short story by ’60s thriller writer Chester Himes, is easily the best bit of Slop — a two-character drama about a poor, unhappily married couple whose frustrations surface when a rifle is mysteriously delivered to their door. ”Tang” features remarkable performances from both Paula Jai Parker and Chi McBride (The John Larroquette Show), and gives Cosmic Slop — produced by House Party filmmakers Reginald and Warrington Hudlin — a feeling of promise. B+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Chi McBride, Nicholas Turturro, Paula Jai Parker, Robert Guillaume; Director: Reginald Hudlin, Kevin Rodney Sullivan, Warrington Hudlin; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: R
Posted November 4 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scandal' actor Tony Goldwyn thinks Fitz should get on Tinder
- 'Price is Right' specials to host contestants from 'Big Brother,' 'Survivor'
- Ross Marquand of 'TWD' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project,' 'Deadbeat'
- Stephen Colbert thinks 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' sounds depressing
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996