In a probable case of exaggeration, major studio Warner Bros. and Disney-owned independent Miramax — both of which have been accused of cooking box office figures in the past — played a wild game of ”Can you top this?” in reporting the weekend numbers for The Specialist and —Pulp Fiction, respectively. While Miramax finally claimed victory for its sadistically bloody crime film, industry sources agreed that both estimates were inflated. One feather in Fiction’s cap: Its 2 1/2-hour running time allowed an average of only four daily showings versus The Specialist’s five, making its final take even more impressive.
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt