Think you have finally conquered cyberspace? There’s something even bigger out there called the ”datasphere,” and culture critic Rushkoff is attempting to get a handle on it. Hurtling along the suddenly ubiquitous ”information superhighway,” he assumes a basic readerly knowledge of the tangle that encompasses cable, fiber optics, the Internet, and smart drugs. Rushkoff pauses at rest stops on the way only long enough to look at the messages that are actually and actively traveling the roads via their various media. It’s a lot of fun when he examines just how subversive and psychedelic shows like Ren & Stimpy, Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, The Simpsons, and Liquid Television are: Sticking with a tangible medium helps Rushkoff get his message across. But when he describes hanging out with proselytizing society dropouts who are living outside the media mainstream, he loses focus — as if he’d gotten out of his car for a candy bar, and forgot where he parked. This book is an opening look at paradigm shifts that are occurring as we read — or log on, or whatever. Rushkoff, however, pulls off the road a little too soon. B
Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture Think you have finally conquered cyberspace? There's something even bigger out there called the ''datasphere,'' and culture critic Rushkoff is...Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular CultureTelevision, Pop CultureDouglas Rushkoff Think you have finally conquered cyberspace? There's something even bigger out there called the ''datasphere,'' and culture critic Rushkoff is...1994-11-11
Genre: Television, Pop Culture; Author: Douglas Rushkoff
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Art Garfunkel dings Paul Simon in new interview
- Dust off your crayons: Adult coloring books are here
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!