Part of a wise and sprawling collection of seven discs examining art through the ages, The Twentieth Century showcases everyone from Pablo Picasso to Andy Warhol in a hands-on kind of way. If you’re afraid of art because it’s so all-encompassing, this overview can serve to demystify it, letting you learn and view the discipline’s varied beauty at your own pace. There’s no fancy video footage here, just a pleasant narrator reading text that’s focused, if not breezy, backed by jazz and avant-garde music. Hundreds of paintings from the worlds of Cubism and Expressionism flash by until you stop the show and muse on the work yourself. If there’s a problem in this presentation, it’s that the artists’ lives aren’t outlined, except in a clunky glossary and an accompanying encyclopedia. B+
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Read an exclusive excerpt from 'Warm Bodies' prequel 'The New Hunger' -- and see the cover
- A-Trak reveals the soundtrack to his life
- Label CEO says company has naming rights to Chief Keef's baby
- Celine Dion revives Las Vegas residency following yearlong hiatus
- Hugh Dancy and Gillian Anderson get philosophical in exclusive 'Hannibal' finale clip
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!