It’s unusual for a sitcom star at the height of her popularity to deign to return to her roots in stand-up comedy, but that’s what Brett Butler: Sold Out (Showtime, Nov. 12, 9:30-10 p.m.) offers. Her Grace Under Fire is always nudging the top of the Nielsen ratings these days, but in this concert, taped at Portland, Oregon’s Intermediate Theater, she seems relieved to be back in front of an audience alone, telling many jokes that wouldn’t pass prime-time network standards. Butler’s trademark style is that of the neat paradox: Playing with Southern cultural stereotypes, she drawls exaggeratedly, but instead of coming out with bumpkin cornpone, Butler lets loose with complicated, high-flown, grammar-perfect sentences. She doesn’t just assert that some jerk insulted her with a vulgar expression; she gets her laugh by saying, ”A petulant and eloquent retort was his,” and then giving us the guy’s crude punchline. Butler is really clever, but also a little troubling. Why is a woman as patently intelligent as she is so obsessed with her recent breast- enlargement operation that she works it up into a lengthy, none-too-funny routine? Perhaps there’s a pop-feminist argument here that I’m missing, but too often, Butler’s wit is wasted on subjects that seem unworthy of her. B
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Margaret Atwood talks Twitter Fiction and near-genius hashtags
- Check out this exclusive photo from a new book of 'Hunger Games' portraits
- Keanu Reeves gets terrorized in new 'Knock Knock' trailer
- TLC airs '19 Kids and Counting' marathon after Josh Duggar child molestation allegations
- 'Tomorrowland' production designer on how to build a futuristic city from yesterday's dreams
- Jimmy Fallon and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson give a commencement speech... in 1989
- Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones? 'You don’t want to be the guy who f---s that up'
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!