Chevy Chase is the stumblebum family man whose house gets commandeered for a police stakeout. Jack Palance is the cop on the case who eats stumblebums for breakfast. By now these two actors can play such parts in their sleep — which is what they seem to be doing here. It’s not just the typecasting that killed Cops and Robbersons, it’s also the way director Michael Ritchie goes against his stars’ strengths, eschewing broadside character collisions for warmer, fuzzier encounters. Here’s a movie in which a typical Palance hard-ass ends up as the Robbersons’ honorary ”Uncle Jake.” Dopey? Yes. But not funny. C-
Cops and RobbersonsChevy Chase is the stumblebum family man whose house gets commandeered for a police stakeout. Jack Palance is the cop on the case who eats stumblebums...Cops and RobbersonsComedyPGChevy Chase is the stumblebum family man whose house gets commandeered for a police stakeout. Jack Palance is the cop on the case who eats stumblebums...1994-11-11Robert DaviDianne WiestRobert Davi, Dianne Wiest
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Chevy Chase, Jack Palance, Robert Davi, Dianne Wiest; Director: Michael Ritchie; MPAA Rating: PG
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- One Direction sees a 'spike of sadness' on Spotify to the tune of 769%
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch read poetry at the reburial of King Richard III
- First look: Kelli Garner in 'The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe'
- Watch the teaser for Inglewood-gone-awry 'Dope'
- James Franco has a very uneasy conversation with Letterman about 'The Interview'
- HBO partners with Vice for daily newscast
- William Petersen of 'CSI' joins WGN's 'Manhattan'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!