Czech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Emperor’s Nightingale, an adaptation of a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, was state of the art 40 years ago. But that’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, the character design is lovely, the animation is eerily lifelike, and the voice-over by Boris Karloff is flawless. But kids with MTV attention spans won’t get the glacial storytelling, and parents will probably find the lack of any satiric edge equally off-putting. Nice to look at, though. B
The Emperor's NightingaleCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...The Emperor's NightingaleAnimation, Sci-fi and FantasyUnratedCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...1994-11-11
Genre: Animation, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Boris Karloff; Director: Jiri Trnka; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!