Czech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Emperor’s Nightingale, an adaptation of a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, was state of the art 40 years ago. But that’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, the character design is lovely, the animation is eerily lifelike, and the voice-over by Boris Karloff is flawless. But kids with MTV attention spans won’t get the glacial storytelling, and parents will probably find the lack of any satiric edge equally off-putting. Nice to look at, though. B
The Emperor's NightingaleCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...The Emperor's NightingaleAnimation, Sci-fi and FantasyUnratedCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...1994-11-11
Genre: Animation, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Boris Karloff; Director: Jiri Trnka; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Modern Family:' Read Alex's full college essay
- Exclusive: First look at Carly Rae Jepsen's new video, "I Really Like You"
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!