Czech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, and The Emperor’s Nightingale, an adaptation of a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale, was state of the art 40 years ago. But that’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, the character design is lovely, the animation is eerily lifelike, and the voice-over by Boris Karloff is flawless. But kids with MTV attention spans won’t get the glacial storytelling, and parents will probably find the lack of any satiric edge equally off-putting. Nice to look at, though. B
The Emperor's NightingaleCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...The Emperor's NightingaleAnimation, Sci-fi and FantasyUnratedCzech director Jiri Trnka was an early master of the stylized puppet animation later perfected in Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas,...1994-11-11
Genre: Animation, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Boris Karloff; Director: Jiri Trnka; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted November 11 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!