As a soldier, Mark Valley fought Iraqis in Desert Storm. So taking on the rabid fans of NBC’s Days of Our Lives shouldn’t faze him. But Valley plays Jack Deveraux, replacing actor Matt Ashford, whom some viewers still clamor for more than a year after he was fired. Valley, a New York State native, beat out numerous ”names” and began appearing last week, though his only previous soap experience was five episodes of Another World. ”To tell you the truth,” he says, laughing, ”I have no idea what I’m getting into. What pressure?” That attitude’s no surprise, coming from a West Point grad and former Army parachutist. He says the military and soaps have much in common: ”You get up early, you need discipline, and you never know what to expect.”
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!