As a soldier, Mark Valley fought Iraqis in Desert Storm. So taking on the rabid fans of NBC’s Days of Our Lives shouldn’t faze him. But Valley plays Jack Deveraux, replacing actor Matt Ashford, whom some viewers still clamor for more than a year after he was fired. Valley, a New York State native, beat out numerous ”names” and began appearing last week, though his only previous soap experience was five episodes of Another World. ”To tell you the truth,” he says, laughing, ”I have no idea what I’m getting into. What pressure?” That attitude’s no surprise, coming from a West Point grad and former Army parachutist. He says the military and soaps have much in common: ”You get up early, you need discipline, and you never know what to expect.”
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 'Phantasm: Remastered' poster: The Tall Man gets a grip
- WATCH: Here's your exclusive first look at 'Project Runway' season 15
- Marvel Tsum Tsums go from plush to digital in new mobile game
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall