As if we needed more proof that they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, here’s an updated The Lost Weekend to set you pining for the original. This time the alcoholic is Alice (Ryan), and she’s set atop the most extreme, Hollywoodized heights before she takes the big fall: beautiful children, romantic husband (Garcia), cozy house. After the ordeal of rehab, it looks like the glitzy goods will all be restored, giving viewers something to weep over and to covet simultaneously. The movie has plenty of good intentions but always spikes them with teary manipulation — a very mixed cocktail indeed. C+
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan, Ellen Burstyn, Tina Majorino, CCH Pounder; Director: Luis Mandoki; Author: Ronald Bass, Al Franken; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations
- 'NCIS' postmortem: Emily Wickersham reacts to Bishop's marriage troubles
- See the same-sex romance that was deleted from 'Love Actually'
- Kurt Cobain makes first Billboard chart appearance as solo artist