As if we needed more proof that they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, here’s an updated The Lost Weekend to set you pining for the original. This time the alcoholic is Alice (Ryan), and she’s set atop the most extreme, Hollywoodized heights before she takes the big fall: beautiful children, romantic husband (Garcia), cozy house. After the ordeal of rehab, it looks like the glitzy goods will all be restored, giving viewers something to weep over and to covet simultaneously. The movie has plenty of good intentions but always spikes them with teary manipulation — a very mixed cocktail indeed. C+
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan, Ellen Burstyn, Tina Majorino, CCH Pounder; Director: Luis Mandoki; Author: Ronald Bass, Al Franken; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Beyoncé used New Orleans documentary footage 'with permission' in new 'Formation' video: rep
- Larry David hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Listen to Chrisette Michele's a cappella cover of Adele's 'Hello'
- 'Zoolander 2' tries to recreate the magic of Magnum in new clip
- Tony Goldwyn teases Fitz's state of mind in 'Scandal' return
- Lady Gaga says Super Bowl performance is one of the highest honors
- Beyonce surprises with powerful new single, 'Formation'