As if we needed more proof that they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, here’s an updated The Lost Weekend to set you pining for the original. This time the alcoholic is Alice (Ryan), and she’s set atop the most extreme, Hollywoodized heights before she takes the big fall: beautiful children, romantic husband (Garcia), cozy house. After the ordeal of rehab, it looks like the glitzy goods will all be restored, giving viewers something to weep over and to covet simultaneously. The movie has plenty of good intentions but always spikes them with teary manipulation — a very mixed cocktail indeed. C+
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan, Ellen Burstyn, Tina Majorino, CCH Pounder; Director: Luis Mandoki; Author: Ronald Bass, Al Franken; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama smacks down Trump for his Mean Tweet
- Ryan Adams is done covering albums after Taylor Swift's '1989'
- Watch the first two episodes of Hulu's 'Freakish'
- Hanson sang the national anthem the last time Cleveland made the World Series
- 'DWTS' used the 'Outlander' theme song — and it went over big
- Michael Gleason, 'Remington Steele' co-creator, dies at 78
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Can the team work with Daisy and Ghost Rider?