As if we needed more proof that they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, here’s an updated The Lost Weekend to set you pining for the original. This time the alcoholic is Alice (Ryan), and she’s set atop the most extreme, Hollywoodized heights before she takes the big fall: beautiful children, romantic husband (Garcia), cozy house. After the ordeal of rehab, it looks like the glitzy goods will all be restored, giving viewers something to weep over and to covet simultaneously. The movie has plenty of good intentions but always spikes them with teary manipulation — a very mixed cocktail indeed. C+
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan, Ellen Burstyn, Tina Majorino, CCH Pounder; Director: Luis Mandoki; Author: Ronald Bass, Al Franken; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- Fear the Walking Dead producers reveal how much time season 1 will cover
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!