As if we needed more proof that they just don’t make ‘em like they used to, here’s an updated The Lost Weekend to set you pining for the original. This time the alcoholic is Alice (Ryan), and she’s set atop the most extreme, Hollywoodized heights before she takes the big fall: beautiful children, romantic husband (Garcia), cozy house. After the ordeal of rehab, it looks like the glitzy goods will all be restored, giving viewers something to weep over and to covet simultaneously. The movie has plenty of good intentions but always spikes them with teary manipulation — a very mixed cocktail indeed. C+
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Andy Garcia, Meg Ryan, Ellen Burstyn, Tina Majorino, CCH Pounder; Director: Luis Mandoki; Author: Ronald Bass, Al Franken; Runtime (in minutes): 126; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted November 18 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Garth Brooks to singing Ashton Kutcher: 'Don’t quit your day job'
- 'Dead of Summer': Who survived the deadly summer?
- Nick Viall named the next Bachelor
- Linklater taps Bryan Cranston, Steve Carell, Laurence Fishburne for next film
- Chris Brown arrested on suspicion of assault with deadly weapon
- Miley Cyrus' homeless date to 2014 VMAs puts Moonman trophy on eBay
- 'Jurassic World' exhibit will feature life-size animatronic dinosaurs