It’s about as costly as a night at a real comedy club, but you don’t get two drinks with Carolines Presents…Johnny Cocktails. The only cocktail served here is Johnny, a sort of Gumby Dangerfield ”claymedian” whose stand-up routine you choose from a list of one-liner topics (”Old People,” ”Stupid People,” ”My Pal Tony”). Then you watch him tell the jokes you’ve just chosen. That’s all this disc does. There are some mild chuckles to be had, but the dreadful canned-laughter trashes any sense of spontaneity. The clay animation, on the other hand, is quite spiffy. For better and (mostly) worse, it’s the most synthetic entertainment experience you’ll have all year. D+
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...