It’s about as costly as a night at a real comedy club, but you don’t get two drinks with Carolines Presents…Johnny Cocktails. The only cocktail served here is Johnny, a sort of Gumby Dangerfield ”claymedian” whose stand-up routine you choose from a list of one-liner topics (”Old People,” ”Stupid People,” ”My Pal Tony”). Then you watch him tell the jokes you’ve just chosen. That’s all this disc does. There are some mild chuckles to be had, but the dreadful canned-laughter trashes any sense of spontaneity. The clay animation, on the other hand, is quite spiffy. For better and (mostly) worse, it’s the most synthetic entertainment experience you’ll have all year. D+
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room