It will make a great movie: Hong Kong tongs plan to control the United States heroin market. Their masterly plot pulls a young prosecutor-turned-corporate lawyer into the web (his character description: moral! hunky! sensitive!), along with his ex- CIA father (torn! reformed!) and his FBI girlfriend (spunky! Irish! ex- nun!). Minor roles include the daughter (exotic! obedient!) of the true wizard behind the plot, her college professor/lover (Southern! gentlemanly!), and assorted Chinatown Mafia types. Think David Caruso, think Nicole Kidman, think Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa. Get the picture? China White by Peter Maas reads more like a screen synopsis than like a fully developed novel. The characters are mere plot devices instead of real people, and the story is as quick and sketchy as an outline. Some might find such brevity refreshing, and there’s no arguing with Maas’ timing — heroin is a topical subject these days. Still, by the time the film goes into production, it may be a dead subject. B-
China White It will make a great movie: Hong Kong tongs plan to control the United States heroin market. Their masterly plot pulls a young prosecutor-turned...China WhiteFiction, True Crime, Mystery and ThrillerPeter Maas It will make a great movie: Hong Kong tongs plan to control the United States heroin market. Their masterly plot pulls a young prosecutor-turned...1994-11-25
Genre: Fiction, True Crime, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Peter Maas
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- How do Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy compare?
- Watch out, Frank and Claire: Neve Campbell joins 'House of Cards'
- Taylor Towsend will play Julie Cooper in 'The O.C. Musical'
- The wedding is over for It Shoulda Been You on Broadway
- 'Teen Wolf' season 4 DVD: See the limited edition art for Comic-Con
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!