Back when studios were ”dream factories,” artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those dreams to the public. The collection of designs in MGM Posters: The Golden Years spans MGM’s heyday and beyond, taking us from ’20s melodrama to mid-’60s midriff-baring kitsch. It’s fascinating — not to mention great fun — to discover how some of our favorite films were promoted, almost as good as viewing scenes lost to the cutting-room floor. A 1950 poster for Father of the Bride, with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, proclaimed boldly: ”The Bride gets the thrills! Father gets the bills!” ”When Pretty Girls T-e-a-s-e-d Men Into Marriage!” was 1940’s take on Pride and Prejudice, starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. ”Strange drama of a captive sweetheart,” a copywriter wrote perkily of the mood piece Gaslight, while ”Gaiety! Glory! Glamour!” was the odd way The Wizard of Oz got pitched to the American people — not that it ended up mattering in the long run. A
MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text By Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text ByCoffee Table, Movies, Pop CultureFrank Miller Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...1994-11-25
Genre: Coffee Table, Movies, Pop Culture; Author: Frank Miller
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- John Oliver says standardized tests are almost as terrifying as clowns
- E! to air two-part 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' special about Bruce Jenner
- 'Game of Thrones' TV Book Club: Did 'Sons of the Harpy' just confirm a huge fan theory?
- Watch a brief history of the PG-13 rating
- Miley Cyrus, The Flaming Lips to release collaborative album
- Royal baby name: Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'Sons of the Harpy'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!