Back when studios were ”dream factories,” artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those dreams to the public. The collection of designs in MGM Posters: The Golden Years spans MGM’s heyday and beyond, taking us from ’20s melodrama to mid-’60s midriff-baring kitsch. It’s fascinating — not to mention great fun — to discover how some of our favorite films were promoted, almost as good as viewing scenes lost to the cutting-room floor. A 1950 poster for Father of the Bride, with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, proclaimed boldly: ”The Bride gets the thrills! Father gets the bills!” ”When Pretty Girls T-e-a-s-e-d Men Into Marriage!” was 1940’s take on Pride and Prejudice, starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. ”Strange drama of a captive sweetheart,” a copywriter wrote perkily of the mood piece Gaslight, while ”Gaiety! Glory! Glamour!” was the odd way The Wizard of Oz got pitched to the American people — not that it ended up mattering in the long run. A
MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text By Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text ByCoffee Table, Movies, Pop CultureFrank Miller Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...1994-11-25
Genre: Coffee Table, Movies, Pop Culture; Author: Frank Miller
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!