Back when studios were ”dream factories,” artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those dreams to the public. The collection of designs in MGM Posters: The Golden Years spans MGM’s heyday and beyond, taking us from ’20s melodrama to mid-’60s midriff-baring kitsch. It’s fascinating — not to mention great fun — to discover how some of our favorite films were promoted, almost as good as viewing scenes lost to the cutting-room floor. A 1950 poster for Father of the Bride, with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor, proclaimed boldly: ”The Bride gets the thrills! Father gets the bills!” ”When Pretty Girls T-e-a-s-e-d Men Into Marriage!” was 1940’s take on Pride and Prejudice, starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. ”Strange drama of a captive sweetheart,” a copywriter wrote perkily of the mood piece Gaslight, while ”Gaiety! Glory! Glamour!” was the odd way The Wizard of Oz got pitched to the American people — not that it ended up mattering in the long run. A
MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text By Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...MGM Posters: The Golden Years Text ByCoffee Table, Movies, Pop CultureFrank Miller Back when studios were ''dream factories,'' artists such as Al Hirschfeld created highly stylized, visually arresting posters to help market those...1994-11-25
Genre: Coffee Table, Movies, Pop Culture; Author: Frank Miller
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!