Director George A. Romero’s low-budget debut, Night of the Living Dead, is second only to Psycho among influential horror films. But while time has dimmed its subtext (flesh-eating zombies as a Vietnam-era metaphor for America devouring itself), more damage has been done to Night’s reputation over the years by hordes of blurry, abridged public-domain TV and video versions. This disc was made using the original 35 mm negative, and it resurrects some of the most evocative black-and-white photography ever to grace a fright flick. All sorts of extra goodies also grace the package (running audio commentary by the director and cast, a bonus second disc with the entire original script, still photos, cast profiles, and more), but what’s most compelling here is Dead itself, once again viewable as its Creators intended. A+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Horror, Drama; Starring: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Patricia Tallman, Tony Todd, Karl Hardman, Keith Wayne; Director: George A. Romero; Author: George A. Romero; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Continental Distributing Division (Walter Reade-Sterling Inc.)
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!