”Actually, I just picked up my brother Doug’s novel, Jennie. I obtained a copy at a bookstore signing of mine because he never sent me a copy —too modest. It’s based on a true story about a chimpanzee that was brought to live with a family and learns sign language. It’s an amazing story. My book, Hot Zone, is also about primates, so my parents are totally weirded out…. Another cool novel I’m reading is Corelli’s Mandolin, by Louis de Bernieres, a love story that takes place on a small Greek island during World War II. I also just finished a book that has been a best-seller in England, Bravo to Zero, by Andy McNab. It’s the true story of an officer who led a commando raid in the Iraqi war. For light amusement, I also like to read old medical articles about loathsome illnesses, like Chagas’ (disease), which is (caused by) a parasite that does unbelievable things to the body — I won’t go into it.”
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!