”Actually, I just picked up my brother Doug’s novel, Jennie. I obtained a copy at a bookstore signing of mine because he never sent me a copy —too modest. It’s based on a true story about a chimpanzee that was brought to live with a family and learns sign language. It’s an amazing story. My book, Hot Zone, is also about primates, so my parents are totally weirded out…. Another cool novel I’m reading is Corelli’s Mandolin, by Louis de Bernieres, a love story that takes place on a small Greek island during World War II. I also just finished a book that has been a best-seller in England, Bravo to Zero, by Andy McNab. It’s the true story of an officer who led a commando raid in the Iraqi war. For light amusement, I also like to read old medical articles about loathsome illnesses, like Chagas’ (disease), which is (caused by) a parasite that does unbelievable things to the body — I won’t go into it.”
Posted November 25 1994 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!