Next time some sports-page moralist waxes indignant over the antics of a bad-boy athlete like Charles Barkley or Darryl Strawberry, and yearns for the good old days when jocks were gentlemen and scholars, hand over a copy of Al Stump’s Cobb. Whether your interest is baseball, American popular culture, or abnormal psychology, Stump’s vivid recounting of the life and times of Ty Cobb, a.k.a. ”The Georgia Peach,” can’t fail to fascinate. Cobb was, hands down, the most brilliant player of his era. But he was also almost universally hated by teammates and opponents, and subject to paranoid delusions and fits of ungovernable rage. In 1909, Cobb attacked a Cleveland hotel detective with a knife in a near-lethal scuffle. Fearing arrest, he had to be transported across Ohio incognito to play in that year’s World Series between Detroit and Pittsburgh. In New York a few years later, Cobb raced into the stands and assaulted a disabled heckler. In self-pitying moods, Cobb blamed the emotional trauma of his mother’s having slain his beloved father with a shotgun while he was still in the minor leagues. The elder Cobb, supposedly off on a business trip, was in the act of climbing in the bedroom window — presumably to catch his wife with a lover. (She was tried and acquitted.) The inspiration for the current movie starring Tommy Lee Jones, Stump’s Cobb vividly re-creates both the man and his era. A-
CobbNext time some sports-page moralist waxes indignant over the antics of a bad-boy athlete like Charles Barkley or Darryl Strawberry, and yearns for the...CobbSports, Biography, NonfictionAl StumpNext time some sports-page moralist waxes indignant over the antics of a bad-boy athlete like Charles Barkley or Darryl Strawberry, and yearns for the...1995-01-13Algonquin Books
Genre: Sports, Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Al Stump; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!