Domestic cruelty, lives of quiet desperation, and the many tribulations of the Irish have been William Trevor’s stock-in-trade for 30 years. Fans love the master’s spare, unsentimental tales with hidden depths. What to make, then, of this creepy thriller, Felicia’s Journey, this serial killer stalking sweet young things? Has Trevor gone all lurid and sensational? Not quite. Stout, squeaky-voiced Mr. Hilditch, 54, and lonely in his big house full of British Empire relics, dreaming of military glory and preying on women other men have wounded and discarded, turns out to be another Trevor character. Surprise: Serial killers are not glamorous monsters. This one’s a piteous wretch, driven to insanity by an accumulation of the same small human cruelties Trevor has explored before. When this English loony pursues an Irish victim, plain Felicia, with ”the face for a nun,” her stubborn simplicity confounds him. The outcome is both moral and heartbreaking, Trevor at his sly and subtle best. A
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Elaine Cassidy, Bob Hoskins; Director: Atom Egoyan; Author: William Trevor; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Alliance Atlantis Communications
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Furious 7's James Wan to produce 'The Entity' remake
- Helen Mirren talks about her love of Vin Diesel on 'Late Night'
- Waka Flocka Flame to run for president
- Batman costume from 'Batman v Superman': Take a good look
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!