Domestic cruelty, lives of quiet desperation, and the many tribulations of the Irish have been William Trevor’s stock-in-trade for 30 years. Fans love the master’s spare, unsentimental tales with hidden depths. What to make, then, of this creepy thriller, Felicia’s Journey, this serial killer stalking sweet young things? Has Trevor gone all lurid and sensational? Not quite. Stout, squeaky-voiced Mr. Hilditch, 54, and lonely in his big house full of British Empire relics, dreaming of military glory and preying on women other men have wounded and discarded, turns out to be another Trevor character. Surprise: Serial killers are not glamorous monsters. This one’s a piteous wretch, driven to insanity by an accumulation of the same small human cruelties Trevor has explored before. When this English loony pursues an Irish victim, plain Felicia, with ”the face for a nun,” her stubborn simplicity confounds him. The outcome is both moral and heartbreaking, Trevor at his sly and subtle best. A
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Elaine Cassidy, Bob Hoskins; Director: Atom Egoyan; Author: William Trevor; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Alliance Atlantis Communications
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!