Domestic cruelty, lives of quiet desperation, and the many tribulations of the Irish have been William Trevor’s stock-in-trade for 30 years. Fans love the master’s spare, unsentimental tales with hidden depths. What to make, then, of this creepy thriller, Felicia’s Journey, this serial killer stalking sweet young things? Has Trevor gone all lurid and sensational? Not quite. Stout, squeaky-voiced Mr. Hilditch, 54, and lonely in his big house full of British Empire relics, dreaming of military glory and preying on women other men have wounded and discarded, turns out to be another Trevor character. Surprise: Serial killers are not glamorous monsters. This one’s a piteous wretch, driven to insanity by an accumulation of the same small human cruelties Trevor has explored before. When this English loony pursues an Irish victim, plain Felicia, with ”the face for a nun,” her stubborn simplicity confounds him. The outcome is both moral and heartbreaking, Trevor at his sly and subtle best. A
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Elaine Cassidy, Bob Hoskins; Director: Atom Egoyan; Author: William Trevor; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Alliance Atlantis Communications
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels