In Simon Beckett’s Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ”Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and when I decided to end their relationship I knew I would need help.” So this fussy little art dealer, who has become obsessed with his assistant, hires a male model to seduce her and…worse. Donald’s urges are not just sexual but aesthetic: Marty’s too ugly to touch someone as pretty as Anna. This is the same brand of sad and gummy obsession as in Nabokov’s Lolita, but it turns vicious fast, and after an hour or so inside Donald’s thoughts, you’ll want to take a bath. Don’t. You’ll just stare at the wall and wonder whether he’s pulling his favorite trick of watching through holes in the plaster. A-
Fine Lines In Simon Beckett's Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ''Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and...Fine LinesFictionSimon Beckett In Simon Beckett's Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ''Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and...1995-01-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Simon Beckett
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for Rutgers' class of 2015
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!