In Simon Beckett’s Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ”Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and when I decided to end their relationship I knew I would need help.” So this fussy little art dealer, who has become obsessed with his assistant, hires a male model to seduce her and…worse. Donald’s urges are not just sexual but aesthetic: Marty’s too ugly to touch someone as pretty as Anna. This is the same brand of sad and gummy obsession as in Nabokov’s Lolita, but it turns vicious fast, and after an hour or so inside Donald’s thoughts, you’ll want to take a bath. Don’t. You’ll just stare at the wall and wonder whether he’s pulling his favorite trick of watching through holes in the plaster. A-
Fine Lines In Simon Beckett's Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ''Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and...Fine LinesFictionSimon Beckett In Simon Beckett's Fine Lines, Donald Ramsey is a stalker who knows his limitations. ''Anna and Marty were very obviously in love, and...1995-01-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Simon Beckett
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More