Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum’s character in Jurassic Park: I began thinking that the writers were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn’t stop to think about whether they should. As it turns out, could was a problem too. DeVito plays an out-of-work ad exec who takes a gig teaching Double-D (”Dumb as Dogs—”) Army students and ends up enchanting them with the magic of Shakespeare. But the supposedly stupid characters come to class with fully adequate commands of rhetoric and irony — they just need to brush up on their grammar. It’s nice that the filmmakers wanted to convey the joy of learning, but they stack the deck to the extent that 40 minutes into this tepid comedy, you might be seized by the conviction that ignorance of its remainder may well turn out to be bliss. C-
Renaissance Man Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park: I...Renaissance ManComedyPG-13 Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park: I...1995-01-13Ed Begley Jr.Gregory HinesMark WahlbergEd Begley Jr., Gregory Hines, Mark Wahlberg
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Danny DeVito, Gregory Hines, Stacey Dash, Ed Begley Jr., Gregory Hines, Mark Wahlberg; Director: Penny Marshall; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!