Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum’s character in Jurassic Park: I began thinking that the writers were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn’t stop to think about whether they should. As it turns out, could was a problem too. DeVito plays an out-of-work ad exec who takes a gig teaching Double-D (”Dumb as Dogs—”) Army students and ends up enchanting them with the magic of Shakespeare. But the supposedly stupid characters come to class with fully adequate commands of rhetoric and irony — they just need to brush up on their grammar. It’s nice that the filmmakers wanted to convey the joy of learning, but they stack the deck to the extent that 40 minutes into this tepid comedy, you might be seized by the conviction that ignorance of its remainder may well turn out to be bliss. C-
Renaissance Man Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park: I...Renaissance ManComedyPG-13 Watching this hybrid of Stripes and Dead Poets Society, I felt a kinship with Jeff Goldblum's character in Jurassic Park: I...1995-01-13Ed Begley Jr.Gregory HinesMark WahlbergEd Begley Jr., Gregory Hines, Mark Wahlberg
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Danny DeVito, Gregory Hines, Stacey Dash, Ed Begley Jr., Gregory Hines, Mark Wahlberg; Director: Penny Marshall; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' reboot?
- Blink-182 going through 'friendly divorce' with Tom DeLonge
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Jason Segel's 'Nightmares!' sequel: Read an excerpt
- Archie Panjabi on Kalinda-Alicia 'Good Wife' goodbye
- Sam Shepard arrested on drunk driving charges
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!