Less, the sages say, is often more, but that may not be the case with this new version of This is Spinal Tap, the funniest rock film ever. Here, along with picture and sound quality far superior to any previous Tap video incarnation, we also get two running commentaries (director Rob Reiner on one audio channel, the principals on the other), a 20-minute demo reel, and more than an hour of outtakes (including Bruno Kirby singing Sinatra songs in his underwear). Much of this is amusing, but whether we really need these extras is arguable; in fact, as Reiner himself notes at the outset, they’re a bit like a magician telling you how he did a trick. A-
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer, Ed Begley Jr., Fran Drescher, Paul Shaffer; Guest Performer: Billy Crystal; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer; Producer (group): Spinal Tap Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Embassy Pictures Corporation
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director reveals early design for Star-Lord's mask