Less, the sages say, is often more, but that may not be the case with this new version of This is Spinal Tap, the funniest rock film ever. Here, along with picture and sound quality far superior to any previous Tap video incarnation, we also get two running commentaries (director Rob Reiner on one audio channel, the principals on the other), a 20-minute demo reel, and more than an hour of outtakes (including Bruno Kirby singing Sinatra songs in his underwear). Much of this is amusing, but whether we really need these extras is arguable; in fact, as Reiner himself notes at the outset, they’re a bit like a magician telling you how he did a trick. A-
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer, Ed Begley Jr., Fran Drescher, Paul Shaffer; Guest Performer: Billy Crystal; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer; Producer (group): Spinal Tap Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Embassy Pictures Corporation
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Outlander' is becoming a war story, explains showrunner
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers