Less, the sages say, is often more, but that may not be the case with this new version of This is Spinal Tap, the funniest rock film ever. Here, along with picture and sound quality far superior to any previous Tap video incarnation, we also get two running commentaries (director Rob Reiner on one audio channel, the principals on the other), a 20-minute demo reel, and more than an hour of outtakes (including Bruno Kirby singing Sinatra songs in his underwear). Much of this is amusing, but whether we really need these extras is arguable; in fact, as Reiner himself notes at the outset, they’re a bit like a magician telling you how he did a trick. A-
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer, Ed Begley Jr., Fran Drescher, Paul Shaffer; Guest Performer: Billy Crystal; Director: Rob Reiner; Author: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer; Producer (group): Spinal Tap Productions; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Embassy Pictures Corporation
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!