As critics hail this TV season as representing The Return of the Quality Drama Hour, forward-thinking producer Aaron Spelling is busy trashing up the concept in University Hospital, a series that answers the question, What if Hugh Hefner had cast ER? In University Hospital, four curvy young nursing students wear uniforms that are for some unexplained reason tighter and shorter than the ones worn by the hardworking middle-aged nurses all around them. Despite this sartorial constraint, the heroic quartet still manages to dash down hospital corridors during emergencies, the camera closely following their every bounce of effort. Our protagonists — played by Rebecca Cross, Hillary Danner, Hudson Leick, and Alexandra Wilson — are also roommates, and we quickly learn that Leick’s Tracy Stone is indeed, as the show’s press release states, ”a manipulative, man-chasing beauty.” True to the formula that Spelling developed in Dynasty, Melrose Place, and Models Inc., Tracy serves as University Hospital’s designated-bitch character, and she’s a very effective one — enjoyably hateful. University Hospital is up-front about its exploitation — the series’ first shower scene takes place beneath the writer’s credit in the premiere’s opening moments — and it bears every sign of becoming a Baywatch-level camp tune-in. A viewer’s only conceivable worry is that the hospital is located in Washington State, thereby minimizing the chances of beach scenes. But I say, never underestimate the fertile mind of Mr. Spelling. B
University Hospital As critics hail this TV season as representing The Return of the Quality Drama Hour, forward-thinking producer Aaron Spelling is busy trashing up the...University HospitalDrama As critics hail this TV season as representing The Return of the Quality Drama Hour, forward-thinking producer Aaron Spelling is busy trashing up the...1995-01-13
Genre: Drama; Producer (person): Aaron Spelling; Status: In Season
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis to guest on 'Billy on the Street'
- 'Walking Dead' actor to guest on Fox's 'Minority Report'
- Hulk Hogan: The N-word was part of my 'daily environment' growing up
- Eddie Redmayne hopes 'Fantastic Beasts' will be 'quite a ride'
- New 'Sicario' clip ratchets up the tension for Emily Blunt
- Hulu launches ad-free subscription model
- Donald Trump weighs in on Kanye's presidential candidacy announcement
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!