Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league ‘tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone their skills on professional teams comprised largely of native players. And each winter these importados confront the culture-clashing challenges of unfamiliar food, low-rent facilities, gnarly playing fields, and rowdy fans that test their collective nerve in ways that a Roger Clemens heater never will. For the 1992-93 season, all-star baseball documentarian Nathan Kaufman (Minor Leagues — Major Dreams) hung out with the Americans playing for the Cardenales de Lara of Barquisimeto, recording their personal and collective crises (including two games called on account of a coup attempt). He returns with a tellingly unpretentious locker-room home movie of serious, career-on-the-line ballplayers feeling very far from home. A
Winterball Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league 'tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone...WinterballDocumentaryUnrated Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league 'tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone...1995-01-13
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Nathan Kaufman; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 13 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!