Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league ‘tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone their skills on professional teams comprised largely of native players. And each winter these importados confront the culture-clashing challenges of unfamiliar food, low-rent facilities, gnarly playing fields, and rowdy fans that test their collective nerve in ways that a Roger Clemens heater never will. For the 1992-93 season, all-star baseball documentarian Nathan Kaufman (Minor Leagues — Major Dreams) hung out with the Americans playing for the Cardenales de Lara of Barquisimeto, recording their personal and collective crises (including two games called on account of a coup attempt). He returns with a tellingly unpretentious locker-room home movie of serious, career-on-the-line ballplayers feeling very far from home. A
Winterball Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league 'tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone...WinterballDocumentaryUnrated Each winter, dozens of American baseball players — mostly minor- and major-league 'tweeners looking for an edge — head to Venezuela to hone...1995-01-13
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Nathan Kaufman; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Destiny's Child reunited at Stellar Gospel Music Awards
- Angelina Jolie visits the Kids Choice Awards
- 'Walking Dead': You can live in Alexandria--for real!
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!