The one sharp joke buried in the Jell-O of this amiable, low-energy comedy is that white people can’t tell black people apart. The comedian Sinbad — always PG, always likable, often comedically shapeless — plays Kevin, a decent-hearted, wiseacre underachiever who, while fleeing buffoonish loan sharks in an airport, bumps into a decent-hearted, rich, square suburbanite (Phil Hartman, doing one of his patented Republican daddies-with-a-lockjaw-smile) awaiting the arrival of an old friend he hasn’t seen in 25 years. Kevin passes himself off as the anticipated Black Person, is lavishly welcomed by his duped host, and, by the end of his extended visit, teaches the whole square family how to loosen up and get down.B-
HouseguestThe one sharp joke buried in the Jell-O of this amiable, low-energy comedy is that white people can't tell black people apart. The comedian Sinbad —...HouseguestThe one sharp joke buried in the Jell-O of this amiable, low-energy comedy is that white people can't tell black people apart. The comedian Sinbad —...1995-01-20Phil HartmanRandall Miller
Starring: Sinbad; Starring: Phil Hartman, Randall Miller; Director: Randall Miller
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!