It’s as if Alec Baldwin had never played Jack Ryan, hero of Tom Clancy’s best-selling The Hunt for Red October and its movie adaptation. That’s how Ford makes you feel as he deftly dodges the crossfire during a sneaky CIA war against Colombian drug lords in Clear and Present Danger. Of course, there’s more to this third Clancy thriller than heroics. There’s heart-stopping action (a multiple-sniper attack on Ryan’s motorcade), high-tech hardware (a frighteningly effective laser-guided missile), and even some suspenseful software: a dueling-keyboards race to print out incriminating agency files before they can be deleted. Not surprisingly, this sequence makes a picture-perfect fit on a TV screen. Call it state-of-the-art 1990s intrigue. A-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Henry Czerny, Willem Dafoe, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Anne Archer, Thora Birch, Benjamin Bratt, Willem Dafoe, Hope Lange; Director: Phillip Noyce; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 27 1995 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sharon Osbourne takes 'Talk' break
- Chris Pratt offers pre-apology for any offensive remarks he says during press tour
- An intense new trailer for 'Black Mass' has arrived
- John Stamos on Olsens' 'Fuller House' nix
- This was Chris Pratt's craziest day on the set of 'Jurassic World'
- Why Michael Fassbender loves taking risks
- 'Mr. Holmes': Doyle estate sues
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!