It’s as if Alec Baldwin had never played Jack Ryan, hero of Tom Clancy’s best-selling The Hunt for Red October and its movie adaptation. That’s how Ford makes you feel as he deftly dodges the crossfire during a sneaky CIA war against Colombian drug lords in Clear and Present Danger. Of course, there’s more to this third Clancy thriller than heroics. There’s heart-stopping action (a multiple-sniper attack on Ryan’s motorcade), high-tech hardware (a frighteningly effective laser-guided missile), and even some suspenseful software: a dueling-keyboards race to print out incriminating agency files before they can be deleted. Not surprisingly, this sequence makes a picture-perfect fit on a TV screen. Call it state-of-the-art 1990s intrigue. A-
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Henry Czerny, Willem Dafoe, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Anne Archer, Thora Birch, Benjamin Bratt, Willem Dafoe, Hope Lange; Director: Phillip Noyce; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!